[LyX/master] DocBook: allow KOMA-Script documents to be generated as DocBook

Pavel Sanda sanda at lyx.org
Mon Jul 27 15:43:49 UTC 2020

On Wed, Jul 22, 2020 at 07:28:35PM +0200, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 at 09:09, Richard Kimberly Heck <rikiheck at lyx.org>
> wrote:
>
> > On 7/20/20 8:35 PM, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:
> > > commit c9f8469c00da790f2a80cf55089a3c1a48b755c3
> > > Author: Thibaut Cuvelier <tcuvelier at lyx.org>
> > > Date:   Tue Jul 21 02:59:57 2020 +0200
> > >
> > >     DocBook: allow KOMA-Script documents to be generated as DocBook
> >
> > This is really excellent.
> >
> > Just out of curiosity: Is there an easy way to go from DocBook to EPub?
> > We have been trying (well, more hoping) to get a good EPub export to
> > work for a while.
> >

> Yes, there are at least three (open source) ways:
> - with the Java XSLT engine Saxon (
> https://www.saxonica.com/welcome/welcome.xml): using the outdated version 6
> (the last one that fully supports XSLT 1.0) and
> https://github.com/docbook/xslt10-stylesheets, this is probably the
> preferred way to get ePubs from DocBook
> - Ubuntu has http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/trusty/man1/dbtoepub.1.html
> - RedHat/Fedora used to develop Publican, a tool that can also produce
> ePub: https://sourceware.org/publican/en-US/Publican/4.2/ (abandoned since
> RHEL 8)

Maybe I am confused, but when I look on debian repository I see docbook-xsl
package which likely stems from the "preferred" github repo.
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/docbook-xsl

However the description page does not list epub as its native output format
and instead lists dbtoepub as suggested dependency (your 4th link) which
is likely the real conversion mechanism(?).

dbtoepub itself is there termed as an alpha-quality implementation
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/dbtoepub
so I wonder whether we actually have some reasonable conversion mechanism
at hand?