Fullscreen vs. reading mode

Pavel Sanda sanda at lyx.org
Mon Jul 27 14:55:07 UTC 2020

On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 05:33:07AM +0200, Daniel wrote:
> I don't have Linux, so it might be that some WMs react very differently from
> macOS. So, your WM has a dedicated fullscreen function to send any
> application into fullscreen. However, it surprises me that your WM knows
> what's best to hide when you go into fullscreen.

Of course it does not know. It just kill unnecesary WM visuals (like borders
and titles). It's just poor man's version of lyx fullscreen (your "focus")
and fails in similar way to what you see in Mac's WM fullscreen.

> So, my idea was to distinguish these two modes and be able
> to use them independently. One configurable "focus mode" and one fullscreen
> mode. The latter just sends the window into fullscreen and is what happens
> when one uses the WM's dedicated fullscreen functionality.

To me, the proper way how to deal with this is to fix our code, that we
correctly catch the signal from (not only Mac) WM to become fullscreen
and do exactly what we do in the "focus" mode -- and not having two
different modes. I do not know whether Qt gives us such signal to catch
though.

If you strive for a second mode it should be fairly easy to get that as
combination of command-sequence & ui-toggle keys and bind to your favourite
key.