Fullscreen vs. reading mode

Daniel xracoonx at gmx.de
Tue Jul 21 03:33:07 UTC 2020

On 2020-07-21 00:16, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 21, 2020 at 12:01:57AM +0200, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:

>>> I haven't yet understood what is the problem.
>>> LyX has it's own, more configurable fullscreen mode and window managers
>>> have their own generic version, e.g. my WM understand fullscreen as
>>> maximize window and kill all window decorations.
>>> Is your main issue merely that we call it fullscreen and not reading mode?
>>
>> I think we could decide to limit screen width of hide some things
>> independently from being in full screen.
>
> Not GUI yet but IIRC you can define any command sequence with ui-toggle commands.
> My association with 'Reading mode' implies more read-only functionality than
> some specific about visibility of UI elements.
> Pavel

No, my issue is not at all with terminology. I just call it that way to
distinguish for lack of better terms. I agree that reading mode isn't
good. How about "focus mode" instead?

I don't have Linux, so it might be that some WMs react very differently
from macOS. So, your WM has a dedicated fullscreen function to send any
application into fullscreen. However, it surprises me that your WM knows
what's best to hide when you go into fullscreen. It seems strange that
whenever you go into fullscreen elements get hidden. What if you want to
"work as usual" but in fullscreen. Or is whether UI elements get hidden
globally configurable in your WM? Are you using a Qt based WM? Actually,
are you sure that your WM hides all window decorations in other
applications or is it just in LyX? I am curious what happens if you turn
off hiding the UI elements in the LyX preferences and enter fullscreen
via your WM in LyX (e.g. via a your WM's fullscreen
button/menu/shortcut) or alternatively via the LyX fullscreen menu.

Anyway, maybe what I am seeing does not affect all WMs, e.g. only macOS.
MacOS has a dedicated fullscreen (and also splitscreen) mode that lets
you put any application into fullscreen. However, this is just a way to
work on different fullscreens with single applications. So, one does not
want anything hidden but work as usual on one's documents. For example,
if I am writing in a document and have a PDF I am reading on the side,
then I enter splitscreen mode so that I have no overlap with other
windows and can use the screen space effectively. But I still want to be
able to see all the UI elements, e.g. tabs, because otherwise it gets
hard to navigate my documents.

I know that I can just set to show those elements in the fullscreen
preferences. It might be an option to set all those elements to not hide
by default in LyX (at least on macOS), so one gets the expected result.

But then one loses what I call "focus mode" (formerly referred to as
"reading mode"). So, my idea was to distinguish these two modes and be
able to use them independently. One configurable "focus mode" and one
fullscreen mode. The latter just sends the window into fullscreen and is
what happens when one uses the WM's dedicated fullscreen functionality.

Yes, I think being able to limit line-width and hiding of UI elements
(e.g. hide all toolbars at once) would be nice also in
non-fullscreen/focus mode. However, my concern currently is just that UI
elements should not be hidden (by default at least) in the WM's
dedicated fullscreen mode (at least on macOS).

Daniel