More lay description for "Use old style figures"?

Jürgen Spitzmüller spitz at lyx.org
Sun Jul 12 16:13:59 UTC 2020

Am Sonntag, den 12.07.2020, 12:13 +0200 schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes:
> You can find lots of synonyms there
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Text_figures
>

> I would say that lowercase non-lining or hanging numerals is more
>
> explicit to me. I would say that we can use "old style figures" in
> the
>
> tootip and another in the checkbox.
>

> OTOH "old style figures" is what LaTeX users recognize.

Old Style Figure is the more common term. It's also what LibreOffice,
Scribus, QuarkXPress, InDesign, and Word uses, and it's the term used
in the OpenType specification:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/typography/opentype/spec/features_ko
https://helpx.adobe.com/fonts/using/open-type-syntax.html#onum

I would strongly advise against using another term in the dialog.

Jürgen