New DocBook support (0004)

Pavel Sanda sanda at lyx.org
Mon Jul 6 10:03:00 UTC 2020

On Mon, Jul 06, 2020 at 04:16:11AM +0200, Thibaut Cuvelier wrote:
> Is agu_stdclass.inc worth keeping, by the way? It really looks like AGU
> used to use a DocBook variant, but that was a while ago: I can't find
> anything related to DocBook or XML on their website, they are only using
> Word and LaTeX nowadays (
> https://www.agu.org/Publish-with-AGU/Publish/#1).The only references I can
> find are back from 2003 (
> http://www.disciplineoforganizing.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Schwarzman-XML-CentricWorkflow.pdf)
> or 2006 (
> https://www.slideshare.net/aschwarzman/developing-an-stm-dtdschema-strategic-design-choices).
> It also looks like AGU switched to JATS in 2010 (
> https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK47084/).
> Removing it is by no way required, as it should still work, but obviously
> not as well as before: I don't know what AGU DTD looked like, it was
> probably based on DocBook 3, while the main code supports only DocBook 5. I
> guess the output no longer makes sense.

I don't think that agu_stdclass.inc is worth keeping, lyx docbook output is >10 years
obsolete and as you write agu.org swicthed from it at least one decade back.

> > > I have no clue what line you talk about here. P
>
> That script introduces OutputFormat in LyX documents (revert_outputformat).
> Thus, I suppose that this parameter is allowed in LyX documents (otherwise,
> there would be nothing to remove it).

No, that's misunderstanding, the name of the routine is cheating little bit.
revert_outputformat removes newly introduced "default_output_format" string in
.lyx header, not "outputformat". That's the Document > Settings > Formats >
Output Format > Default output format option we talked in the beginning of this
thread, which still exists and we'll need to figure out later why docbook is
not listed there.

So if this was the only reason left, I believe we should go for patch 0004
minus the format thing, if you agree.