Compiling and using master on macOS

Daniel xracoonx at gmx.de
Mon Jul 6 07:59:32 UTC 2020

On 2020-03-15 21:37, Stephan Witt wrote:
> Am 15.03.2020 um 17:16 schrieb Daniel <xracoonx at gmx.de>:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am about to try compiling and using master on macOS. I just has a look at INSTALL.MacOSX. It mentions Qt version 4. That seems a bit outdated. But I guess that I am looking at the latest guide to compile on macOS, right?
>
> Yes, it’s outdated. It should work with Qt4 - but Qt4 cannot be used on recent macOS.
>
> Basically I’m using the script LyX-Mac-binary-release.sh in development folder. That’s much easier than other options, IMO.
>
> First step is to install Xcode and the automake and/or cmake utilities. This can be done with macports or homebrew. I’m using macports.
>
> Second step is to get Qt5 - as source or binary distribution. I’m using the source tarball and build Qt5 myself.
>
> Optional components are the spell checker and libmagic frameworks.
>
> Finally I start development/LyX-Mac-binary-release.sh with
> --enable-cxx11
> --with-qt-dir=/path/to/qt5
>
> Stephan

Thanks. Finally came around trying it on macOS. I take it one has to run
the last command with sh, right? So, from the lyx directory (in the
lyxgit directory) I execute

sh development/LyX-Mac-binary-release.sh --enable-cxx11
--with-qt-dir=/Users/<username>/Qt/5.9.9

(where I replace <username> by my macOS user name. Unfortunately, I get
the following:

: command not found-binary-release.sh: line 2:
: command not found-binary-release.sh: line 4:
: command not found-binary-release.sh: line 9:
: command not found-binary-release.sh: line 19:
: command not found-binary-release.sh: line 23:
: command not found-binary-release.sh: line 27:
': not a valid identifiery-release.sh: line 28: unset: `LD_LIBRARY_PATH
: command not found-binary-release.sh: line 29:
: command not found-binary-release.sh: line 44:
: command not found-binary-release.sh: line 49:
development/LyX-Mac-binary-release.sh: line 53: syntax error near
unexpected tok'n `in
'evelopment/LyX-Mac-binary-release.sh: line 53: `case
"${QtVersion}:${QtAPI}" in

By the way, if finally successful, where will this put the LyX.app?

Daniel