New DocBook support (0004)

Thibaut Cuvelier dourouc05 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 02:16:11 UTC 2020

On Sun, 5 Jul 2020 at 23:56, Pavel Sanda <sanda at lyx.org> wrote:

> On Sun, Jul 05, 2020 at 11:51:01PM +0200, Pavel Sanda wrote:
> increase
> missing
> > > >

> > > I've yet to see a layout using this either.
> >
> > git grep OutputType | grep -E 'docbook|literate'
>
> I realized you are likely not having linux shell, so here you go:
>
> lib/layouts/agu_stdclass.inc:OutputType              docbook
> lib/layouts/db_stdclass.inc:OutputType              docbook
> lib/layouts/knitr.module:OutputType             literate
> lib/layouts/noweb.module:OutputType              literate
> lib/layouts/sweave.module:OutputType             literate

Indeed, I don't have a Unix shell available, but GUI tools can still do the
job. I did not find those because I was too restrictive on the extension…

Is agu_stdclass.inc worth keeping, by the way? It really looks like AGU
used to use a DocBook variant, but that was a while ago: I can't find
anything related to DocBook or XML on their website, they are only using
Word and LaTeX nowadays (
https://www.agu.org/Publish-with-AGU/Publish/#1).The only references I can
find are back from 2003 (
http://www.disciplineoforganizing.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Schwarzman-XML-CentricWorkflow.pdf)
or 2006 (
https://www.slideshare.net/aschwarzman/developing-an-stm-dtdschema-strategic-design-choices).
It also looks like AGU switched to JATS in 2010 (
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK47084/).
Removing it is by no way required, as it should still work, but obviously
not as well as before: I don't know what AGU DTD looked like, it was
probably based on DocBook 3, while the main code supports only DocBook 5. I
guess the output no longer makes sense.

db_stdclass.inc is gone in a later commit, as implementing a compatibility
layer for the existing DocBook support does not require it (it's done in
one of the last commits).

> > > According to lyx2lyx/lyx_2_0.py,
> > > it really looks like this parameter is only useful for LyX documents.
> >
> > I have no clue what line you talk about here. P

That script introduces OutputFormat in LyX documents (revert_outputformat).
Thus, I suppose that this parameter is allowed in LyX documents (otherwise,
there would be nothing to remove it).