New DocBook support (0004)

Thibaut Cuvelier dourouc05 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 00:16:04 UTC 2020

On Sat, 4 Jul 2020 at 14:39, Pavel Sanda <sanda at lyx.org> wrote:

> someone

> support
> > > is
> > >
> > > Could be wrong but my reading was that's not enabling docbook, but
> setting
> > > docbook as default output format.
> >
> > I tried the existing code. Creating a new DocBook document from the
> template
> > does not set \outputformat, so it's not required to generate a DocBook
> file.
>
> You are right, \outputformat has nothing to do with default output format.
> Which brings me to the initial question, how \outputformat ends up in .lyx
> file
> at all that we need to remove it?
> What one needs to set in GUI to get \outputformat in .lyx file?
> Have you seen .lyx file which contains that line?

As far as I understand it, there is no way to set the format from LyX
(either the GUI or the code outside TextClass: no setter method for this
field, it is only set when reading the LyX file). The same holds for
outputType, by the way.

I have yet to see a LyX file using these, also… The only occurrences I can
find in the Git repository are in the documentation.

> > Nothing is set as "Default output format" either (and the dropdown list
> only
> > shows Default and LyXHTML ??? this version of LyX doesn't seem to find my
> > LaTeX installation???).
>
> We can look later. I am now stuck with the outputformat thing. I looked at
> the
> code and it's scattered all over the place, but it's difficult to find
> piece
> of code which does actually something useful based on this variable.
> Do you still need functionality like that of
> GuiRef::nameAllowed/typeAllowed ?

No, these are no more useful. Actually, the type now gets translated into
DocBook, so it does not really make sense not to show it in some cases. I
can't find what GuiRef::nameAllowed actually refers to…

The goal is really to have a standard LyX document (i.e. almost nothing
specific to DocBook), but still be able to output DocBook files and retain
as much as possible of LaTeX/LyX feature set. (LyX is not a DocBook editor,
doesn't have the required concepts, they are very far away from the current
editor and its philosophy, and there is already excellent software to edit
DocBook.)

Therefore, I suppose that a lot of this code can be deleted.