Text selection does not work as expected

Yu Jin yu_jin at lyx.org
Sat Jul 4 17:50:18 UTC 2020

Am Sa., 4. Juli 2020 um 17:16 Uhr schrieb Scott Kostyshak <skostysh at lyx.org
>:

> Thanks for looking into this, Eugene. Just to make sure I understand,
> you think this is a Qt bug, right? I don't know anything about this

It looks like a Qt bug indeed, I have reported it on Qt bugtracker. But to
clarify, the bug occurs only on touchpads (not on Windows 10 in general).
I have tested an older LyX version on my notebook, 2.3.1 (with Qt 5.10.1)
-> no bug. The newer LyX versions, which come with Qt 5.12.5 and also my
latest betainstaller, where I used Qt 5.15.0, do have that bug, therefore
it seems like a Qt bug.

> stuff, so hopefully a different LyX developer takes a look. Don't spend
> time making a new patch based on my comments (wait for another LyX dev
> first), but if you do get a +1 to commit, it would be nice to mark
> exactly what parts of the code are in there because of a workaround for
> a Qt bug, and how to test that the bug is no longer relevant (e.g., "to
> test if this workaround is still needed, try to select a word by
> double-clicking in LyX on Windows 10. For more information, see the
> following ML thread...").
>
> Taking a step back, what changed that triggered this bug? I'm guessing
> that it is because we compiled LyX 2.3.5 with a newer Qt version. Is that
> correct? Is it worth compiling 2.3.4 on your machine to double-check that
> you *can* reproduce the bug (since using a newer Qt version)? What Qt
> version was 2.3.4 compiled with? I personally would support putting the
> added lines in preprocessor guards but I don't know how other LyX
> developers feel about that. Here is the flavor of preprocessor checking
> that I think is easiest:

I have compiled master with Qt 5.15.0 on my machine, resulting in the bug
occuring. Compiling master with Qt 5.9.9 (I could not download 5.10.1, to
match what is used in the LyX version I have tried above, for some reason)
didn't produce the bug.

> #if (QT_VERSION < QT_VERSION_CHECK(5, 0, 0))
>        // code here...
> #endif

I see and understand now that workarounds for Qt bugs are not easy to
handle. Also I can't predict when or if the bug will be fixed in Qt. So
what is attached is what I can provide for now, maybe other developers have
more experience or better ideas? Btw do we have some kind of tracker for
this kind of issues?

Eugene