LyX 2.4.0-alpha1

José Abílio Matos jamatos at lyx.org
Wed Dec 30 09:18:17 UTC 2020

On Wednesday, December 30, 2020 8:47:51 AM WET Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
> I am fairly clueless about such things. Fortunately, there are other people
> who know more. JMarc? Enrico? Yuriy? Anyone?
>
> Riki

To be clear, we decided that the minimum requirement for compiling LyX is gcc
4.9 and that is clearly stated in the README:

" What do I need to compile LyX from the source distribution?

    * A C++11 compiler. Development is being done mainly with gcc/g++,
      but clang and MSVC are known to work too. As of LyX 2.4.0, you
      need at least gcc 4.9."

My point was about the configure part where there is no warning.

Regarding EPEL7 (associated with RHEL 7) it should be possible to use another
gcc other than the system one. I will not pursue this route unless there is
interest. RHEL 7 is supported for one more year (unless you pay for an
extension of the support and only for a limited subset) and so by now it is
old.

Although I do not use it I made LyX available in EPEL8 this month. There the
limitations do not apply the tool set is new enough.

I hope that this is clear now. :-)
--
José Abílio