Drop QT4 from master

Kornel Benko kornel at lyx.org
Mon Dec 28 17:48:44 UTC 2020

We use utf-8 encoded strings.
In order to fully use regular expressions in FindAdv, we need the created regex be case
sensitive. This works good for ascii charaters, but fails on

The try to use docstring works better on unix systems. But there are some problems.
1.) regexes are still unable to handle case-insensivity for e.g. cyrillic characters,
although one can here already use constructs like [а-и].
2.) under mingw we get 'invalid regex' error.
This means, that using docstring does not help much.

The next try is using QString. This works pretty good, but uses classes introduced in QT5.

The differences in lyxfind.cpp are big, so that using '#ifdef's does not seem appropriate.
(See attached)

So the question is: Can we drop support for QT4 in master?
Or has someone a better sollution?

        Kornel