Virtual meetings

José Abílio Matos jamatos at lyx.org
Tue Dec 15 17:45:17 UTC 2020

Hi,
  I mentioned this with Jean-Marc on July and I think that it would be nice to
mention it here.

  The idea for this come, not only from this year exceptional situation aka
pandemics, but also from the Octave project.

  They had more or less one hour meetings to take the status of the project
and to coordinate the next stable release, that it was supposed to be released
this almost one year ago. The goal was achieved, octave 6.1.0 was released
last month.

There are several advantages and several drawbacks. In terms of advantages we
all know that sometimes mailing lists are not the best communication medium
(an absolute understatement).
Of course that this does not replace the face to face meetings but they are a
nice surrogate.

On the minus side by now most of us should have virtual meetings fatigue. :-)
And we would need to find a mutual schedule that should be a compromise
between the different time zones.

What do you think?

PS: Last week I was in Greece (again virtually) in the Conference on Complex
Systems that had participants from 17 different time zones. :-)
--
José Abílio