Significant .lyx EOL White Space Inquiry

José Abílio Matos jamatos at lyx.org
Mon Dec 14 18:54:09 UTC 2020

On Monday, December 14, 2020 5:46:52 PM WET Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
> I think that the real reason that we use this scheme is due to how we
> represent insets in the file format, we always change line.
>
> That is what IMO forbids the equivalence between spaces and newlines in the
> lyx file format.
>

> If we find a solution for the previous questions this can be implemented in
> lyx2lyx.
>
> The obvious thing to do would be always to break lines at spaces. But then
> how do we handle the case of languages that don't use spaces to separate
> words?

One simple example to illustrate what I mean, even assuming that the space is
our word separator. What should be the file format of the latex paragraph?

The most famous equation of all times is $E=mc^2.$

How do we represent the space between "is" and the math inset?

Now we do (pardon me the markdown syntax :-) ):

``` lyx
\begin_layout Standard
The most famous equation of all times is
\begin_inset Formula $E=mc^{2}.$
\end_inset

\end_layout
```

What would be the alternative? To have a space before the \begin_layout? That
does not seem right and it would complicate our parsing a lot.

The option I am thinking, although a bit ugly, would be:

``` lyx
\begin_layout Standard
The most famous equation of all times is
\space
\begin_inset Formula $E=mc^{2}.$
\end_inset

\end_layout
```

That would mean that we have a special syntax for a line with a single space.
--
José Abílio