An official GitHub mirror for LyX?

Pavel Sanda sanda at lyx.org
Thu Dec 10 13:26:04 UTC 2020

On Sun, Dec 06, 2020 at 11:41:53PM +0100, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> > You did the upgrade to CentOS 6 a while back, didn't you? Obviously, we
> > can't be sure an upgrade to some newer version would go smoothly, but it
> > worked all right last time, yes?
>
> All I did was some upgrades of the CentOS6 system as it was from the start.
> Now the current is CentOS8. I do not know whether we have to go through
> CentOS7 first.

Word of warning here: AFAIK CentOS7 should be supported till 2024,
CentOS8 only till the end of 2021 (no I am not joking).
I did not dig into details, but it seems CentOS community decided
to completely change their vision and from the next year starting
with rolling releases (they call it "Steam"); this would be cool
if you like up-to-date software but it's not good for servers.

So one option would be a minimalist one - try whether CentOS7 wont
break much and stay lazy couple more years.
If more drastic changes are necessary it might be better to look
around for distros with longer LTS support (IIRC Ubuntu LTS offer
10 years).