Counter feature: should counter name be the LaTeX name?

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Sat Dec 5 23:31:15 UTC 2020

On 12/5/20 1:22 PM, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> Le 05/12/2020 à 18:02, Richard Kimberly Heck a écrit :
>> On 12/4/20 4:14 PM, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
>>> LatexName of the style Theorem is set to "thm". Is that what should
>>> be used as the counter name? Do we currently use the layout name?
>>
>> We use the counter name, which in LyX is "theorem". Believe it or not,
>> there's no facility to say what the LaTeX equivalent is. I guess I will
>> have to add that!
>
> Why do we use a different name, actually? I think that always using
> the same name is safer.

I don't know why that is. I agree with you that it would be better not
to use different names, but sometimes it can't be avoided. E.g., some
classes use 'theorem' instead of 'thm' as the counter, and it would be
nice still to be able to include a single file declaring the counters.
Of course, one would then have to modify that one counter, but it would
still be nicer than not being able to include the counter file for this
reason.