Update LyX with 64-bit installer on Windows

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Thu Dec 3 17:39:44 UTC 2020

On 12/3/20 10:56 AM, Yu Jin wrote:
> Am Mi., 2. Dez. 2020 um 22:28 Uhr schrieb Richard Kimberly Heck
> <rikiheck at lyx.org <mailto:rikiheck at lyx.org>>:
>
>     On 12/2/20 3:37 PM, Yu Jin wrote:
>>     Am Mi., 2. Dez. 2020 um 20:24 Uhr schrieb <_johnny7_ger at web.de
>>     <mailto:johnny7_ger at web.de>>:
>>
>>         Perfect, thank you for elaborating on this. I suspected
>>         something along
>>         these lines but wanted to be sure. It is generally handy to
>>         be able to
>>         update so it is good to hear this will still be supported
>>         (but I assume
>>         for 2.4 it won't be possible?).
>>
>>     Every major release will have to be installed freshly, meaning
>>     into an empty folder. This is not because of the installer itself
>>     though, but rather because of LyX. Usually major releases bring
>>     new features and get rid of some old stuff, so a fresh "restart"
>>     is needed. The installer for 2.4 won't detect your LyX 2.3
>>     because of that. It will also be the same for 2.5 and so on. But
>>     once you have a 2.4 installation, every next minor release
>>     (2.4.x) will again be able to detect your older 2.4 installation
>>     as usual and propose to install over it. This was always the case
>>     and will always be the case (well, except for the case of 2.3.6 :)
>
>     Just to add a little bit to this: I knew the new installer would
>     bring some hiccups. But, since we have had only good reports about
>     it, and since a 64 bit version is especially important, it seemed
>     worth going ahead now.
>
>     Eugene, will the 2.4.x installer migrate user preferences from
>     2.3.x (assuming they are found in the most usual place)? It would
>     be very good if it could.
>
> Not as it is now, it should be no problem to implement though. I can
> do it, will it be enough to copy "preferences" and "session" from old
> userdir to the new one?

I'd just copy over the entire old user directory. The user may have
templates, layout files, etc, that they'd like to use with the new
version. We have mechanisms to convert things to the new format as
needed. The first launch will over-write whatever files need over-writing.

On Linux, the user directory typically does not change between versions.
So we know this works.