Preference to disable input completion?

Joel Kulesza jkulesza at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 14:47:40 UTC 2020

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 4:29 AM Pavel Sanda <sanda at lyx.org> wrote:

> On Mon, Nov 30, 2020 at 05:54:27PM -0500, Maria Gouskova wrote:
> > I saw a similar discussion on lyx-devel a while back about enabling
> > continuous spellcheck by default, and I almost jumped in with a "please
> god
> > no".

I'm curious why this contribution and the rationale behind it wasn't
given.  Healthy discussion, with opposing views but properly framed, seems
like a good thing.

> This sort of behavior and bloat

I'm unsure where the bloat arises; the capability is there regardless of
its operational state.

> is what sent a lot of us running away
> > from "word processors" back in the early 2000's, and even in MS Word
> there
> > is a way to turn all that stuff off.

I believe the discussion was to enable the capability with the user able to
turn it off (rather than the current state: disabled with the user able to
enable it (if he/she realizes LyX has this capability).  This is consistent
with the behavior cited.  Perhaps I misunderstand?

> Yep, that was the major point why we left continuous spellcheck off years
> back.
>
> Now it seems that you missed the new thread about continuous spellcheck
> from
> one month back where left wing of devs come up with the reasoning that many
> users won't get idea about existing spellcheck in lyx unless it's on by
> default.

I've never been called left wing, and I'm pretty sure I don't qualify as
'dev,' but this goes beyond reasoning. I have several first-hand accounts
of technically savvy but new-to-LyX users being unaware of this feature
until it was announced to them.  I regret that this is anecdotal, for I
don't have affidavits to present, but I certainly have evidence beyond the
imagination.  I'm unsure about the experience of others.

Thanks,
Joel