DocBook v2

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Mon Aug 31 22:27:52 UTC 2020

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 10:52:54PM +0200, Pavel Sanda wrote:

> I spent several hours of testing that xHTML export of User Guide
> after docbook rewrite produces equivalent xHTML output after the
> first wave of patches (it was not matter of trivial diff because
> some things changed.) So yes, the chances is there and our simple

Thanks for your time on reviewing the patches.

> If I see similar changes in the code I can check again, but I still
> think that having the codebase for others in master is at the moment
> more valuable than clean docbook tests, which might not be even correct
> from the perspective of the second rewrite.

That's a fair point. If we run the ctests on the branch and only see
regressions in the docbook exports, I would be OK with merging. I would
still disagree with merging, because I think it makes sense to fix those
regressions on the branch before merging and before others take a deep
look at the code, and before other test it. In my opinion, the point of
other people testing the code and reviewing the code is to find problems
that the author does not know about. Also, the fixes to regressions
might be invasive, so why not just fix them before having a big review
instead of having multiple rounds of reviews and testing and fixes on
master? Further, even if only the docbook tests are failing, the
underlying regressions could affect other parts of the LyX code (our
ctests have only small coverage in my opinion). However, although I
would disagree, I would not shout if the code is merged when only
docbook tests are failing; I'd only mutter :)

In the end, if only docbook tests are failing and we report those to
Thibaut and he takes a look at them and concludes that they do not
indicate anything worrisome about non-docbook code, then I would trust
that claim since he is now the expert on these parts of the code.

Scott