DocBook v2

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Mon Aug 31 19:49:44 UTC 2020

On Mon, Aug 31, 2020 at 09:26:30PM +0200, Pavel Sanda wrote:

> If you are kind of finished with this part I would also suggest to
> start pushing those changes to master and let other peoplee help
> with the small stuff like the warnings from different compilers...

You did not mention anything about the ctests, so the following is not
directly a response to your message, but for the ctests I would prefer
to get them figured out before merging. The ctests often find
regressions that take time to fix.  By having all that done on the
branch, people can still test master with less fear of regressions
slipping in; and the ctests continue being valid on master and can catch
regressions on master. If the ctests are broken because there is a
regression on master, and there are (as expected) commits in the
meantime, those commits could break something that would not be caught
by the tests.

Just like testing that LyX compiles before a sensitive commit is pushed,
or a branch is merged, in my opinion there's no difference to testing
that no tests are broken with a big commit or a merged branch. Of
course, it's possible that a small or medium patch that the author
thinks is safe (and thus not worth the time to run the tests) breaks
compilation of tests, and that is bound to happen. But for big changes,
in the long-run more time is saved by just fixing things before changing
master. Especially as we move towards the release, it's nice to keep
master working so that it can be tested without unnecessary regressions
slipping in.

Scott