[LyX/master] Cmake export tests: Omit next group of possible conflicts while runnig test in parallel

Scott Kostyshak skostysh at lyx.org
Wed Aug 19 20:57:44 UTC 2020

On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 10:09:36PM +0200, Kornel Benko wrote:
> commit 4bb00e99fbc4e23075088dfdd8e3d566fbd9d187
> Author: Kornel Benko <kornel at lyx.org>
> Date:   Wed Aug 19 22:28:50 2020 +0200
>
>     Cmake export tests: Omit next group of possible conflicts while runnig test in parallel
>
>     Disable conversion cache because all lyx instances use the same cache without
>     any locking between read and write to the cache.
>
>     Thanks to Scott catching this case.
> ---

Thanks, Kornel. I tried to lock the cache index when writing (patch
attached), but that's just the index file. I suppose we would need to
lock each cache file created. I can give that an attempt if someone can
take a look at the attached patch for the index and let me know if it
seems like the correct approach and I can try it for the cache files
themselves.

Before working on that, I would like to ask if it's desirable to have
that in the core code. I don't have a feeling for whether a user is
likely to be bitten by this. In theory, it seems that a user could be
bitten by this issue if they just open/export the same .lyx file in more
than one process. I'm not sure why they would do that though (perhaps by
mistake?). Also, conditional upon being bitten by the issue, I'm not
sure if it is that bad. I guess it could be viewed as bad if a user does
not realize (i.e., no compilation error) if a file in the cache is
corrupt, but I would guess that a corrupt file would lead to a
compilation error more often than not.

Thoughts?

Scott