Font size names

Thibaut Cuvelier tcuvelier at lyx.org
Tue Aug 11 15:40:47 UTC 2020

On Tue, 11 Aug 2020 at 15:41, Daniel <xracoonx at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 2020-08-11 07:50, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
> > Am Montag, den 10.08.2020, 21:44 +0200 schrieb Daniel:
> >> Since I always considered LyX to be quite LaTeX-centric, I am
> >> curious
> >>
> >> what application of LyX there is where one font size step down from
> >>
> >> normal wouldn't be footnote size and still it makes sense to have
> >> the
> >>
> >> ten different font size steps exactly as in LaTeX.
> >
> > DocBook, XHTML.
>
> I don't know anything about DocBook. But XHTML doesn't have ten
> different font sizes.

If that's of any use… XHTML has "only" eight named font sizes (
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/CSS/font-size#absolute-size),
but many more when you give a measurement (12px, 1em, etc.).

As for DocBook, there is no notion of font size within the markup, as it is
made to truly separate content and presentation. The only exceptions are
section and bridgehead (a way to generate something that looks like a
section header), with the renderas attribute, but it's very specific in
use.