Font size names

Kornel Benko kornel at lyx.org
Mon Aug 10 10:08:09 UTC 2020

Am Mon, 10 Aug 2020 11:32:35 +0200
schrieb Daniel <xracoonx at gmx.de>:

> On 2020-08-10 09:15, Kornel Benko wrote:
> > Am Mon, 10 Aug 2020 08:24:56 +0200
> > schrieb Daniel <xracoonx at gmx.de>:
> >
> >> Attached is a chart of LyX font sizes. Does anyone else find it slightly
> >> confusing that LyX uses two different naming schemes (in addition to
> >> LaTeX)? Maybe some historic reason? If possible, I suggest to go for
> >> only one naming scheme.
> >>
> >> I guess the LaTeX naming scheme for large font sizes is a bit
> >> non-descriptive (using capitals to indicate comparatives/superlatives).
> >> So, I guess that is why there is a deviation from LaTeX. I am still not
> >> fully sure that it is a good idea to use different names because people
> >> will have to remember two different schemes instead of one.
> >
> > LyX is _not_ latex. It describes the font sizes for a variety of output
> > formats. Besides, the GUI is translatable. Only the English version would
> > suit your needs.
> >
> > We do not expect our users are latex experts.
> >
> >> But insofar as the more descriptive names should stay, I suggest to
> >> match Gui and LyX names in the following way (which actually helps to
> >> create less of a rift between LaTeX and LyX):
> >>
> >> - "Huger" (Gui name) instead of "Giant" (LyX name) because it matches
> >> better the LaTeX naming (\Huge).
> >>
> >> - Gui/LaTeX names for smaller font sizes because they are more
> >> descriptive, i.e. "Footnotesize" and "Scriptsize" (LyX name) instead of
> >> "Smaller" and "Smallest" (Gui name).
> >>
> >> I guess the latter needs some argument: while there is no match of
> >> sectioning sizes to large sizes because they depend on the class,
> >> "footnotesize" and "scriptsize" match the respective sizes in classes
> >> (as far as I know). So, it's helpful to know that if one wants to match
> >> other elements in the text.
>
> While LyX _is_ not LaTeX, but isn't it _based on_ LaTeX (ideas).[1] And
> I guess it's the most widely used output format. Also, that LyX is does
> not explain why Gui and LyX names differ.

Reading Intro.lyx, there is nowhere mentioned latex.
The first line
	LyX is a document preparation system.
describes almost precisely as to what lyx is aimed to.

Yes, lyx is created also with latex in mind. But since we support other formats too,
I don't see why we should be more latex centric.

> You are right, I forgot about the language translation issues. However,
> I don't see why, at least in English the Gui and LyX names shouldn't
> match. And then be translated from there. Here is a translation friendly
> version of my other suggestions with German examples:
>
> Why doesn't the GUI use the translated version of the LyX name?

What do you mean (I don't understand the term 'LyX name')?

> - "Riesiger" instead of "Gigantisch" (Gui and LyX name) because it
> matches better the translated LaTeX naming (\Huge). (Here the German
> version actually differs from the English version in that both Gui and
> LyX names are the same. Good! But "Riesiger" would be a slightly better
> as a translation of LaTeX's Huge, I think.)

As said, we are not latex.

> - Translated LyX/LaTeX names (Previously, I mistakenly wrote "Gui name"
> instead of "LyX name") for smaller font sizes because they are more
> descriptive, i.e. "Fußnotengröße" and "Skriptgröße" (translated
> LyX/LaTeX name) instead of "Kleiner" and "Sehr klein" (Gui name).

More descriptive yes, but the GUI is for a normal user better understandable IMHO.

> The argument I gave seems to apply independent of translation, I think.
>
> However, if using "footnotesize" and "scriptsize" turn out to be too
> problematic because it does not make sense for some output formats, then
> I suggest to use the English Gui names as LyX names.
>
> In summary, I still don't understand why
>
> 1. LyX names are not _closer_ to LaTeX names,
> 2. English Gui and LyX names differ.
>
> [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LyX (Though there seem to be some
> mistakes on the page. It claims that the Table Editor and Math Editor
> are WYSIWYG. I guess they are WYSIWYM, strictly speaking.)

	Kornel