Patches

racoon xracoonx at gmx.de
Mon Aug 10 07:49:17 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-10 09:19, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
> On 8/10/20 12:23 AM, Daniel wrote:
>>
>> I am already doing that. But if a patch does not apply to master, then
>> I am stuck with re-making it. I guess I need to learn how to partly
>> apply a patch and such. Also, it does not help when improving a new
>> feature if the feature might not be accepted.
>
> You don't have to remake the whole thing, just fix the places where you
> get conflicts. I.e., something like:
>
> git checkout -b mybranch
>
> ...do lots of work...
>
> ...wait a while until things have changed...
>
> git rebase master
>
> # now we get conflicts and we fix them.

I'll try that.

>>> PS Some of these are not your patches. You might want to unassign
>>> yourself.
>>
>> I don't think I have assigned any of those to me. Should I?
>
> If you have posted a patch, then you probably should assign yourself.
> Then you can more easily keep track of which patches are yours and which
> aren't. (I.e., you search for bugs for which you are assigned, not just
> the ones that you own.) Let me know if you have issues with that. I can
> fix whatever permissions need to be fixed.

If I assign myself to a ticket, then the person being assigned by
default is removed, right? So, that would mean that I am the only one
who gets updates when I change something. How should I then make people
aware that I have a patch that might be in their area of expertise? Cc
the person who was assigned by default? Post it on the list? Both?

> FYI, you can also create a custom page for yourself by e.g. going to
>
> https://www.lyx.org/trac/wiki/HomeRacoon
>
> and then editing that page. See e.g. my version at
>
> https://www.lyx.org/trac/wiki/HomeRikiHeck
>
> which was stolen years ago from Vincent.

Stole yours now. I'll try modify it later.

>>> Many of these are display things, which are not my forte. I've looked at
>>> the rest.
>>
>> Thanks for checking!
>
> My pleasure. Please know that your patches are very welcome. It is a
> weird time, though, and I at least am struggling day to day just to keep
> up with daily stuff. Had an uncle die of Covid in April and one of my
> partner's best friends a few weeks ago, too.... But we have two new
> kittens (!), and they are an unending source of amusement.....
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/i7EMuKwVoggpoHru9

Thanks. I didn't mean to complain or so. Just thought that work could be
more effective if I worked while more people where around to check and
discuss it. But good to know they are (mostly) welcome. I guess if a
patch sits around for a couple of years I should bring it up again on
the list. :)

I am sorry to hear about your losses...

Is that a very small cat or a very big screen? :)
--
Daniel