Patches

Richard Kimberly Heck rikiheck at lyx.org
Mon Aug 10 07:19:36 UTC 2020

On 8/10/20 12:23 AM, Daniel wrote:
> On 2020-08-09 19:41, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
>>> That is pretty normal. If you use git branches, then you won't have
>>> that
>>> much work to do.
>
> I am already doing that. But if a patch does not apply to master, then
> I am stuck with re-making it. I guess I need to learn how to partly
> apply a patch and such. Also, it does not help when improving a new
> feature if the feature might not be accepted.

You don't have to remake the whole thing, just fix the places where you
get conflicts. I.e., something like:

git checkout -b mybranch

...do lots of work...

...wait a while until things have changed...

git rebase master

# now we get conflicts and we fix them.

>> PS Some of these are not your patches. You might want to unassign
>> yourself.
>
> I don't think I have assigned any of those to me. Should I?

If you have posted a patch, then you probably should assign yourself.
Then you can more easily keep track of which patches are yours and which
aren't. (I.e., you search for bugs for which you are assigned, not just
the ones that you own.) Let me know if you have issues with that. I can
fix whatever permissions need to be fixed.

FYI, you can also create a custom page for yourself by e.g. going to

https://www.lyx.org/trac/wiki/HomeRacoon

and then editing that page. See e.g. my version at

https://www.lyx.org/trac/wiki/HomeRikiHeck

which was stolen years ago from Vincent.

>> Many of these are display things, which are not my forte. I've looked at
>> the rest.
>
> Thanks for checking!

My pleasure. Please know that your patches are very welcome. It is a
weird time, though, and I at least am struggling day to day just to keep
up with daily stuff. Had an uncle die of Covid in April and one of my
partner's best friends a few weeks ago, too.... But we have two new
kittens (!), and they are an unending source of amusement.....

https://photos.app.goo.gl/i7EMuKwVoggpoHru9