Groupbox layout

Daniel xracoonx at gmx.de
Mon Aug 3 05:32:12 UTC 2020

On 2020-08-02 19:40, Daniel wrote:
> On 2020-08-02 17:53, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
>> Am Sonntag, den 02.08.2020, 17:53 +0200 schrieb Jürgen Spitzmüller:
>>> As said repeatedly over the last days, I am very reluctant to
>>> overpaint
>>> Qt style decisions. The people who designed the Qt windows style
>>> probably had a reason to not embolden the header (or, otherwise, this
>>> should be fixed in the style).
>>
>> Mac style here, of course.
>
> I am not giving up yet. :)
>
> I understand the general idea. And it is nice that everything looks fine
> on your WM. On macOS there is no choice.
>
> I can only point at the screen capture I send from macOS. It doesn't
> look right to me at all. And apparently it does not look right according
> to any other app I tried on macOS. None has this style.
>
> The people who designed the Qt mac style didn't think much about flat
> group boxes. I am quite certain. In particular when they did not have
> any guide from Apple how it should be done since Apple does not support
> flat group boxes. Apple is very much about uniformity when it comes to
> style, I think. And it's not like the Qt people couldn't have better
> things to do than take care of a non-default style on mac given the
> great amount of unresolved Qt bugs.
>
> All Qt apps I tested use the default group box not the flat one. And
> those (non-Qt) apps that use a flat style all style the group box header
> bold.
>
> I think it's okay to go for non-default styles (flat group box). But
> there can be kinks in the styles then that needs fixing.

Here is some more visual evidence that Qt doesn't care that much about
how things look on macOS. Both screen captures where made on macOS, one
with the native and one with Qt's own fusion style. With the Qt's macOS
native style, apart from the groupboxes not being easily to see, the
checkboxes are misaligned and the spaces between them is way too narrow.

Anyway, if overriding is no option, then I suggest to at least use the
default group boxes *on macOS*.

Daniel