LyX-Code layout

José Abílio Matos jamatos at lyx.org
Sat Aug 1 09:21:58 UTC 2020

On Saturday, 25 July 2020 05.26.32 WEST Daniel wrote:
> Is there a reason why the "LyX-Code" layout is not just called "Code"? I
> seem remember that "Labeling" used to be called LyX-List but was
> probably changed due to the confusing name. I guess "LyX-Code" is
> similarly confusing. (Is it some kind of code relevant to LyX only? one
> might wonder.)
>
> Daniel

Oh, I remember when I was young and idealist like you. :-D

LyX-Code was at least on 0.10, so it should be from pre-0.8 (so really a long
time ago).

The LyX prefix always meant that it had functionalities that were not present
in latex based solutions (at the time when they were introduced).

IIRC LyX-Code had more functionalities than simply Verbatim and thus the
reason for a different naming (again IIRC a conversation with Jean-Marc around
2000).
Later around 2007 we had support for listings (latex package) and recently
(relatively speaking) for minted.

I agree that LyX-Code and LyX-List are in the same league.

It is OK in my opinion to use the LyX prefix in the implementation (like we
use in do in \lyxarrow definition) but there is no need to do it in the
interface since it is confusing. :-)
--
José Abílio