[LyX/master] Amend(1) 689f26d2: Add default path to server pipe (cmake build)

Kornel Benko kornel at lyx.org
Sat Apr 18 19:00:53 UTC 2020

Am Sat, 18 Apr 2020 20:11:01 +0200
schrieb Stephan Witt <st.witt at gmx.net>:

> Am 18.04.2020 um 15:58 schrieb Kornel Benko <kornel at lyx.org>:
> >
> > Am Sat, 18 Apr 2020 11:47:18 +0200
> > schrieb Stephan Witt <st.witt at gmx.net>:

> >> Actually it was working on Mac w/o problem before. What should I look at?
> >> What do you expect to happen and what shouldn’t happen?
> >>
> >> Stephan
> >>

> > Yes, I expect it was working. At least for the default userdir.
> > But what happens if you use different directory?
> > 	$ lyx -userdir my_belowed_lyx_userdir
>
> There is no reason to do so on a Mac. And if one want to use that
> it would be easy to use the appropriate serverpipe value there.
>
> > Could we, instead of
> > 	\serverpipe "~/Library/Application Support/LyX at version_suffix@/.lyxpipe"
> > use
> > 	\serverpipe "$$User/.lyxpipe"
> > in development/MacOSX/lyxrc.dist.in?
>
> Yes, we could. But it doesn’t change anything, AFAICS.

Good.

> Furthermore I have some problems with it:
>
> 1. I’d name the variable UserDir to match the meaning of it.

I am using the var-name which already was used in lyx sources.
(See ./src/support/filetools.cpp)
(And yes, I saw it's inside a '#if 0')
So 'UserDir' feels better.

> 2. The aim of the pipe is to tell LyX something.
>
> So it should be easy to guess it’s location for other programs.
> It shouldn't have a dynamic and unpredictable location.

This is neither dynamic nor unpredictable. The userdir should be known.
The value does not change with the lunar phase.

> The use
> case of the pipe on a Mac is to communicate with the PDF viewer
> Skim.

That's OK, the pipe is used in linux with e.g. okular too.

> The viewer has a builtin default to send a message to LyX.
> This is to look for the script lyxeditor at the well known location
> /Applications/LyX.app/Contents/MacOS and run it with appropriate
> parameters.
> This script scans the user preferences for the serverpipe
> and uses a sensible fallback if it is not found. Your proposal doesn’t
> improve the situation. The problematic part is the assumption of Skim
> where LyX is located.

You mean the uuserdir of lyx. But this problem is always there,
regardless of my proposal.

Using lyx2.3 Skim finds the correct lyxeditor, but if you use lyx2.4 it does not.
Or vice versa. You are never on the really safe side.

I would like to have nearly same handling for unix, Windows and MacOSX, that's why.

> Stephan

	Kornel