Improvements for cross-referencing

racoon xracoonx at gmx.de
Sat Apr 11 07:32:03 UTC 2020

On 2020-04-10 22:02, Richard Kimberly Heck wrote:
> On 4/10/20 2:55 PM, racoon wrote:

>>> We have a similar problem even with textual insets.
>>>
>>> Riki
>>
>> I am not sure which a textual insets you have in mind. For example,
>> classic insets which can contain text are less often part of the
>> floating text.
>
> Footnotes, e.g., but really anything that lets you type into it. You
> might think we should be able to have:
>
> Here is some text. Here is some text. Here is[[FOOTNOTE: This is
> the text of the footnote, which goes across a few lines, and is broken
> in a sensible way.]] some text. Here is some text.
>
> But what you see is:
>
> Here is some text. Here is some text. Here is
> [[FOOTNOTE: This is the text of the footnote, which goes across a
> few lines, and is NOT broken in a sensible
> way.                             ]]
> some text. Here is some text.
>
> It's a dream of many of us to fix this, but it's super hard.
>
> Riki

I see. I am not sure what is the super hard part. Is it to get the idea
right or the implementation or both?

If getting the idea right, then the label breaking that I was suggesting
before, seems much less tricky because it's basically just normally
broken text with a background color (the button color).

On the more complicated inset issue: I guess the idea you suggested is
most sensible in the case the inset contains only a single line and
floats in the text, which might be the case often enough. But it is not
clear to me that it is sensible for multi-line insets, such as
footnotes, since a non broken inset gives a better idea of what the
footnote would look like.

Here is another rough idea for improvement of insets whose content is
not supposed to float in the text, such as footnotes. Leave the label
floating in the normal text line and open the inset below:

Here is some text. Here is| FOOTNOTE 1 | some text. Here is some text.
| This is the text of the footnote, which goes across a few lines,   |
| and is NOT broken in a sensible way.                               |
Here is some text. Here is some text.

However, if there is more than one open inset in a line, then the
breaking becomes less nice, but I think it's still pretty readable: